Weimar - Buchenwald

Buchenwald Memorial

In 1937, the SS established the Buchenwald concentration camp. It was the largest Nazi concentration camp, covering ca. 190 ha. The Nazis imprisoned about 250,000 people from all European countries in Buchenwal; 56,000 persons did not survive the ordeal. After its liberation thanks to American military forces in April 1945, Buchenwald was under American control until Thuringia was handed over to the Soviets. In August 1945, the Soviet secret police NKVD (later KGB) established Special Internment Camp No. 2 in Buchenwald. On average, about 12,000 persons were interned in the camp. According to offical Soviet numbers, Buchenwald witnessed about 28,455 prisoners between 1945 and 1950, including 1,000 women; 7,113 persons died. About 1,500 persons were deporterrd from here to forced labor camps in the USSR. In early 1950, the camp was dismantled. Already in 1951, the GDR-government decided to establish the Buchenwald Memorial, which opened in 1958 telling exclusively the story of the Nazi concentration camp. The remodeling of the memorial site started in 1990. In 1995, the new permanent exhibit about the Nazi concentration camp opened, and by 1997 a permenent exhibit on the Soviet Special Internment Camp No. 2 was in place. Steel pillars rather than crosses commemorate the victims of the Soviet special internment camp in the forest near the exhibition.

pictures

 

Memorial Cross

Contact

The Buchenwald Memorial
is located approximately ten kilometres north of the Weimar city centre
phone: +49 (0) 3643 430200

website