Jamlitz

Forest Cemetary and Documentation Site Soviet Special Camp No. 6

In September 1945, the Soviet secret police NKVD/MWD (later KGB) moved its Special Camp No. 6 from the Eastern shores of the river Oder in Frankfurt to Jamlitz, because the region East of the river was transferred to Polish jurisdiction. The camp's new site was the former Nazi work camp Lieberose, which had been in operation from November 1943 until February 1945 as a part of the Nazi concentration camp in Sachsenhausen (see also Soviet Special Camp No. 7 in Oranienburg). Until mid-October 1945, about 3,500 NKVD prisoners were marched into the Soviet Special Internment Camp No. 6. By the time it was dissolved in April 1947, 10,213 prisoners had passed through the camp; at least 3,154 of them died. Even more persons died among those who were transported to other special internment camps in the spring of 1947. While in the GDR the Nazi concentration camp was remembered particularly after in 1971 the remains of ca. 1,200 mainly Jewish victims had been found, the history of the Soviet Special Internment Camp No. 6 could only be researched after the Fall of the Berlin Wall, starting in 1990. In 1995, a memorial site on one of the mass graves in the forest was created. Two open-air exhibitions commemorate both the Nazi concentration camp and the Soviet Special Internment Camp No. 6. They opened to the public in June of 2003.

pictures

 

Jamlitz Memorial Cross

contact

Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Lieberose
Markt 19
15868 Lieberose
phone: +49-(0)33671-2682 and 2140

website