Mühlberg/Elbe

Memorial Site NKVD/MVD Special Internment Camp No. 1

The Special Internment Camp No. 1 began operating in September 1945. It had been built as a camp for prisoners of war (POWs) under the Nazis in 1939. Thousands of POWs from Great Britain, France, and the Soviet Union were held there. Hunger and inhumain conditions killed mostly Soviet POWs, who were burried at a nearby cemetary. After the camp's liberation, the Soviet secret police NKVD (later KGB) used it until September 1945 as a so-called "filtration camp" to collect returning forced laborers, returning Soviet prisoners of war, and even survivors of the Nazi concentration camp Bergen-Belsen, for whom it meant yet another period of suffering. Special Camp No. 1 had had two previous locations before it was moved to Mühlberg/Elbe, where it was in operation until September 1948. Of the overall 22,000 prisoners between 1945 and 1948, every third did not survive the ordeal. Even the NKVD qualified the camp's mortality rate as "high." After the camp's dissolution in 1948, both campsite and graveyard were forgotten until in 1990 former prisoners started an initiative to bring back the memory. The town museum Mühlberg/Elbe hosts a permanent exhibit telling the history of Special Internment Camp No. 1. On the camp's territory, remnants of barracks may be viewed. A memorial site has been developed continuously since 1992. Today there are two areas to commemorate the victims of the POW camp Stalag IVb as well as the Soviet speical internment camp. At the latter's center is an impressive high cross. Plates with the names of 6,766 victims were solemnly unveiled there in 2008.

pictures

 

Memorial Stone

Contact

Initiativgruppe Lager Mühlberg e.V.
Schulplatz 2
04931 Mühlberg (Elbe)
phone: +49-(0)35342 87487

website